6th Situlae Festival
June 26th, 2021, from 3 p.m. to 11 p.m.
After the sites of Novo mesto
Kandija, Glavni trg, Marof, Kapiteljska njiva, Dolenjski muzej
Novo mesto was one of the most important centers of Central Europe in the Early Iron Age (8th-4th centuries BC). Nine bronze, figurally decorated metal vessels – situlae, which belong to the top of European prehistoric fine art, were found in two barrows. That is why Novo mesto is the TOWN OF SITULAE.
In 2021, the Situlae Festival will take place at several venues – archeological sites. We suggest that you join us in Kandija / at the Grm Primary School, where the program starts at 3 p.m. (4 p.m., 5 p.m.). Then, every next full hour, take part in the program at one of the other venues (see map).
Take a walk through the important Iron Age sites of Novo mesto, and feel the pulse of the life of our ancestors. You will definitely experience a lot of interesting things.
Kandija / at Grm Primary School
3 p.m. | 4 p.m. | 5 p.m.
Glavni trg – main square
4 p.m. | 5 p.m. | 6 p.m.
Marof / at the water reservoir
5 p.m. | 6 p.m. | 7 p.m.
Kapiteljska njiva – Capital field
6 p.m. | 7 p.m. | 8 p.m.
– display of ancient crafts and products – pottery, glassmaking, fur, weaving, woodworking, wool felting, blacksmithing, bronze casting, amber processing
– workshops for children – baking bread, archery, skin painting, making leather bracelets, making miniature situlae
– theater play for children
– catering offer with a touch of Iron Age cuisine and drinks
– glimpses from life at the prince’s court
– spiritual life
– lecture about the Iron Age
– site guides